The North Carolina Association of New Farmers of America (NFA) referred to as the North State Farmers was founded at NC A&T State University during the 1926 -27 academic year with twenty six chapters and 741 members. The vocational agriculture program had its beginning in the Negro Public Schools of the state during the school year 1917 -18. At that time there were six public schools offering vocational agriculture to Negro students throughout the state. S.B. Simmons, Head Trainer and Supervisor for Negro Agricultural Education in North Carolina, was the founder of NFA in the state, and served as its advisor from 1935 – 1957. He additionally served as the National Executive Secretary from 1935 – 1941, and Executive Treasurer from 1935 – 1955.
The purposes of the New Farmers of America in North Carolina were to encourage and guide boys in the selection of the occupation of farming and become established in farming. Additionally the organization was established to develop rural leadership, encourage thrift, scholarship, cooperation, and citizenship. The National Organization was formed at Tuskegee Institute, Alabama, August 1935. The New Farmers of America in North Carolina was similar in structure and purpose to the Future Farmers of America in North Carolina. At the organization’s height of membership and last year in existence before the merger with FFA in 1965 the organization was comprised of 8,121 farm boys in over 100 chapters statewide.
Prepared by Dr. Antoine J. Alston, NC A&T State University